Chocolate Beetroot Cake
I was kindly given this fantastic recipe when proudly posting a picture of my home grown beetroots on the ‘Allotment Life’ Facebook Group so here’s a big Thank You to Sue Veale for kindly allowing us to publish both the recipe and photo’s!
Iif you have tried this recipe we would love to hear what you think – you can make comments at the end of the post.
- 1 Large Cooked Beetroot, about 175g in weight, roughly chopped
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 250g Golden Castor Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 200ml Sunflower Oil
- 100g Dark Chocolate (not too bitter), chopped into pieces
- Creme Fraiche or Clotted Cream and Fresh Raspberries to serve.
- Heat oven to 190c/fan 170c/gas mark 5.
- Tip the beetroot into a food processor and blitz until chopped. Add a pinch of salt and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil and chocolate.
- When completely mixed (you may need to scrape the sides down once or twice), add the oil in a steady stream (as if you were making mayonnaise).
- When all the oil has been added stir in the chocolate and tip the mix into a lined 900g loaf tin.
- Cook for 1 hour until an inserted skewer comes out practically clean.
- Leave to cool on a rack
- Serve in slices with creme fraiche or clotted cream and fresh raspberries.
Have you read our Garden section? The Hersham Hub Garden
You can get back to our homepage here: The Hersham Hub