ELMBRIDGE BOROUGH COUNCIL ELECTION – 7TH MAY 2015
MANIFESTO OF SIMON LUMB & ANDREW STURGIS, LIBERAL DEMOCRAT CANDIDATES for HERSHAM North & HERSHAM South.
- We strongly support Hersham’s active community spirit. We will support the strengthening and enhancing of Hersham as a community e.g. the establishment of a civil parish council for Hersham. We are critical of the failure of Hersham’s conservative councillors to mount any effective opposition to the proposed new ward boundaries which will detach most of Hersham North from the centre of Hersham, for voting purposes.
- We are keen to encourage cycling and walking and the use of public transport e.g. safe cycle routes to the stations, schools and shopping centres. This would help ease parking and congestion in local town centres. We would work to increase the frequency and punctuality and routes of local bus services.
- We will work to protect and improve local open spaces, in particular school playing fields.
- We would give priority to the building of more affordable housing in Hersham.
- We would reduce local government bureaucracy by establishing a single unitary authority for West Surrey, which would work with local parish & town councils.
PROFILE OF ANDREW STURGIS – Liberal Democrat Candidate for Hersham South.
Andrew is 97, a former solicitor, a widower with 3 children, 6 grandchildren & 8 great-grandchildren. He has lived in Hersham for over 30 years, a regular worshipper at St Peter’s Parish Church, Hersham, he is President of Hersham Residents Association.
With local government experience at both local and County Council level, he says that increased years bring increased wisdom. A lifelong Liberal, he is ready if elected to put his years of experience at the service of Hersham people as their representative on Elmbridge Borough Council.
Back to Election 2015 Homepage