Worthing 2 Walton & Hersham FC 0 – Match Report

Wednesday 12 August 2015.                           Ryman League, Division One South.

Swans failed to recover from going 2-0 down in the first ten minutes in this match switched to Bognor Regis Town’s ground, the first goal coming after just 16 seconds. A chance to reduce the deficit came just two minutes after Worthing’s second goal when Swans were awarded a penalty, but the chance was spurned.

With André Scarlett unavailable Kadeem Ajeon started in midfield.

The home side’s early opener came when the ball was played in from the right, and with Swans failing to switch on, Omar Bugiel was left with time and space to score.

Brannon O’Neill sent a shot over the bar following another cross from the right, before Lloyd Dawes was played through into the box and was brought down. O.Neill drove the resultant spot-kick past goalkeeper Luke Badiali to make it 2-0.

Swans soon won a penalty of their own when Jack Battie’s ball from the right found Aaron Watson inside the left of the box, where he was tripped. Andrew Mensah hit the spot-kick well, but home keeper Rikki Banks dived to his left to push the ball away.

Swans had not settled well however, and after Dawes had driven a shot over from the edge of the box, Gary Elphick headed over from O’Neill’s corner from the left. Bugiel then drove a shot over the bar from the right.

With twenty minutes played Harry Mills made a run on the left for Swans, and when the ball came to Ajeon 25 yards out, he drove in a shot that Banks beat down at his right-post. Mensah was then just denied as Mills slotted the ball through to him in the box. A good build-up then got John Oyenuga into the box on the left, but after making space his shot was blocked.

With ten minutes left to the break Worthing mounted another attack down the right, and when the ball was crossed to the far-post Dawes’ volley bounced wide. It then took a well-timed tackle by Battie to prevent Matt Axell getting through.

Myles Powponne almost got in at the near-post for Swans when Dominic Ogun crossed from the left, but had to settle for a corner.

Worthing posed less of a threat in the second-half as Swans came more into the game, although they forced two successive corners midway through.

Swans had a good chance with just over ten minutes remaining when Mensah played Watson in on the left, but Banks was quickly out to block his shot. Banks was then forced to concede a corner as he tipped over a dipping cross from the right.

Watson won another corner as he made a run on the left, while at the other end Badiali had to beat down as shot as Ben Pope cut into the box on the right. But Swans were left wondering just how crucial their penalty miss was.

Walton & Hersham FC Team: Luke Badiali, John Oyenuga, Regan Mendes, Dominic Ogun, Shannon Wallace, Harry Mills, Jack Battie, Kadeem Ajeon (Omari Hibbert 66’), Andrew Mensah, Myles Powponne, Aaron Watson. Sub. not used: Sean Fallon. Cautions: Powponne, foul (43’), Wallace, foul (86’). ).

Worthing Team: Banks, Hendon, Metcalf, Axell, Elphick (Hurley 86’), Heath, Dawes (Morey 71’), O’Neill, Bugiel (Johnson 77’), Kimber, Pope. Subs. not used: Fagan, Piper. Scorers: Bugiel (1’), O’Neill, penalty (10’). Cautions: O’Neill, Pope.

Match Report by Merv Rees


Related Articles and Links:

Have you joined The Hersham Hub group on Facebook?
Walton & Hersham FC Fixtures & Results
Walton & Hersham FC Website
Walton & Hersham FC Match Reports
Follow The Swans on Twitter
Ryman League Tables